How to make money with affiliate marketing for beginners
What is Affiliate Marketing?
The internet offers boundless possibilities for earning a living online. Upwork and Freelancers Union found that 35% of the American workforce was doing some type of freelance work in 2016, and 73% said technology made it easier to find that work. One of the ways to harness the internet as an income source is pursuing affiliate marketing. It’s intended as a way to generate passive income, but does it really work? Let’s consider.
Getting in Google Top 10 has never been easier: Struggling for the top positions in Google? Trying to figure out the most effective SEO strategies? Taking the hard knocks with your link building? LinksManagement is a solution to all your SEO pains.
Get the backlinks that work for your rankings grow: Dreaming of #1 on Google, traffic gain and revenues? Join LinksManagement to grab the most rewarding backlinks from our inventory of 8 million pages from US, UK, CA, AU, EU and experience traffic grow, profits, and high rankings.
Are you doing your SEO right?: As you know, there are 3 key ranking factors: link building, on-page optimization, content. Join LinksManagement to make sure that you are doing them right and nothing prevents you from the cherished #1 on Google.
AFFILIATE MARKETING is a marketing practice in which a business rewards one or more affiliates for each visitor or customer brought about by the affiliate’s marketing efforts”. Affiliate marketing is the process of earning a commission by promoting other people’s (or company’s) products. You find a product you like, promote it to others and earn a piece of the profit for each sale that you make.
Basically, you as a publisher will be rewarded when you help a business by promoting their products or services. So for example, if you sign up for Tips and Ticks HQ’s affiliate program and promote it’s products then you will get a commission when the visitor you send from your site makes a purchase.
Affiliate marketing is probably one of the quickest and cheapest (not the easiest) ways to start making money online as you don’t have to create any products yourself. You simply link up a buyer and a seller, and you take a commission on the sale that has been referred by you.
The idea behind it is that you promote other people’s products, often through an affiliate network, earning a commission if people actually end up buying thanks to your marketing.
It’s based on revenue sharing. If you have a product and want to sell more, you can offer promoters a financial incentive through an affiliate program. If you have no product and want to make money, then you can promote a product that you feel has value and earn an income from it as an affiliate marketer.
I’ve talked a little about it before, but today I want to dive deeper into what affiliate marketing actually is, what sides there are to it, and how to get started. So, let’s dive into my affiliate marketing guide. Ready?
How Does Affiliate Marketing Work?
When you join an Affiliate program and choose the products that you want to sell, sellers provide you with a unique affiliate code that you can use to refer traffic to the target site. Most affiliate programs will offer ready made text links, banners and other forms of creative copies whereby you only have to copy the code and place it on your website to start referring traffic. When interested visitors click on these links from your site they get redirected to the product site and if they purchase a product or subscribe to a service you as the referrer make a commission.
The sellers can track your performance through your affiliate ID and the affiliate softwares (eg. WP Affiliate Platform) that they use. You also have complete, real time access to all sales and commissions stats.
Why Affiliate Marketing?
- It is one of the fastest growing technique to earn money online.
- We don’t have to pay to join these programs
- We can work in the comfort of our own home.
You don’t need to sell products all the time to make a commission. Different affiliate programs can use different payment terms such as:
- Pay per Sale: In this program a merchant pays you a percentage of the sale price when the purchase is completed.
- Pay per Click: In this program you get paid based on the number of visitors you redirect to the Merchant’s website from your affiliate site, whether or not a sale is made.
- Pay per Lead: You get paid once the referred visitors provide their contact information on the target site by filling out a simple contact form.
How Much Can You Earn?
The affiliate-marketing industry is growing steadily. An independent survey commissioned by Rakuten Affiliate Network found that affiliate marketing is set to reach $6.8 billion by 2020. Ninety percent of advertisers included in the survey said that affiliate programs were important or very important to their overall marketing strategy, with the majority of publishers reporting that affiliate partnerships drove more than 20% of annual revenue.
Examples Of Affiliate Networks
There are several options when it comes to joining an affiliate network. It would be also be wise to join several, so that you have a variety of products and/or services at your disposal to write about and a wealth of commission.
Here are just a few that have been of great benefit to me over the years:
- Amazon Associates
- CJ Affiliate
Why I Love Affiliate Marketing
Of all the ways I’ve tried to make money blogging, affiliate marketing is my favorite.
The number-one reason I’ve been more successful as an affiliate than as a publisher, coach or anything else is that it’s easier to sell someone else’s product than my own.
Self-promotion is challenging for the person doing it — and it’s not too palatable for the person watching it.
Whether it’s a tweet about a blog post or an email promoting an online course, my readers are far more receptive to my promotion of someone other than of myself. And I’m much more comfortable touting someone else!
“There are always a few people who reply all excited, saying that what I just linked to is exactly what they needed — that’s a feel-good moment for me,” explains Lizard.
From the reader’s point of view, this is simple: When they see you bragging about someone else, that someone instantly has some social credit. They’re good enough for you to promote.
And it’s just plain less annoying for the reader when you share resources from other people than when you constantly tout your own wares.
Lizard also points out that “sometimes I’ll get a grouchy email from someone who wants me to apologize for telling them about anything with a price tag.” But those are less common, and her readers overall have remained receptive to a promotional email “every month or two.”
Facebook has over a billion users now and if you know what kind of business opportunities to look for, you can really make a huge income from this social media giant. Facebook also happens to be the 3rd largest website in the entire world in terms of traffic.
Nowadays, social media is everywhere. You can’t walk down the street without seeing a bunch of people on their phones browsing Facebook or some other app. Likewise, people often get addicted to their social media accounts – so much so that they forget to pay attention to actual people.
But, what about making money? If you’re already on Facebook a lot, then it does make sense to find a way to make money with your Facebook account. This idea is also something you often find heavily promoted online, with sites claiming that you can make money from your social media activity.
That all sounds great, but hype and reality are often two completely different things. So, where does the idea of making money with Facebook stand? Is the approach actually feasible or would you just be wasting your time and energy on something that isn’t going to go anywhere?
To answer those questions, we’re going to take a look at the various ways that you can potentially use Facebook as an income source.
Become a writer
If you are experienced in a particular area, then there is always an option of writing an eBook for you. It might sound like a huge chunk of work, and even though it might be, the benefits it will bring should motivate you to start working on it. Once the book is done, you can advertise it on Facebook through an individual account for your brand.
The process of creating an eBook can take up to several months. It is important to remember that it is not different from the actual book writing. The only thing is that the book will come out in an electronic version.
- Start searching for a good topic. Even though you might have one particular area in which you are a real pro, you should select one narrow theme in this area and work on elaborating on it. The theme should not be too broad or too narrow, as you might end up being unable to disclose the topic at all since it is too broad to get into one book, or you will produce no new information if it is too narrow. All in all, pick the one in the middle of these two extreme points.
- Moreover, make sure that the theme you chose will generate interest. You should know that Facebook users are very accurate. And depending on what your target audience is, you should make a book engaging and exciting for them. After all, you want to earn money. So, you need to build up an audience.
- Once the theme is chosen, start your research on what has already been said about this topic and take notes of what you want to use in your book as evidence to support your position.
- After that, start working on the first draft which does not have to be perfect. You will have to seek professional help after you write a book, as there is no way your own revision is enough for a real book you want to sell. As soon as you create a book, pick an e-format for it and design, start advertising it online. There are plenty of options Facebook offers its clients. So, learn more about these options and pick ones you find the most useful.
You will see that Facebook really can do magic, as there is a great potential this network has for selling. So, use it if you are willing to start earning Internet money here.
Become a copywriter
Another option of how you can make money via Facebook is by writing selling texts for different companies. Most of the companies today have profiles on Facebook. There are many reasons for it. The main one is that that is where the people are, and if they want to meet those people and convert them from unique visitors to regular customers, they should be present in the social network.
- Meanwhile, many of these companies seek the help of professional writers who create high-quality content for their profiles on a regular basis. It is essential to post useful content online if they want the search engines to find them. It is also important if they want the readers to remember about them and use their help. All in all, the copywriter is a valuable team player for any company.
- So, if you have excellent skills in writing and can convince people to purchase things they need from a company you are pointing them to, then you can always try entering this niche.
- You might apply for special courses to learn the basic knowledge of this profession as well as improve your skills before applying for a job, though. So, conduct a research first in this area. It is helpful to have a diploma you can mention in your resume.
- The next step would be creating a portfolio or at least starting your own blog. You will be able to send a link to your blog if a potential employer has questions about your skills and level professionalism.
- Finally, start sending out requests to different companies which you find on Facebook. The best move is to send out a resume and a suggestion on what three posts you will write for them and why. Let them now that you follow them online and know how to increase the conversion. Sound like a real professional and persuade them to hire you with your skills and previous experience. This is another way of how to make money from Facebook.
- Create a page on Facebook
- This is an excellent way to make money too. You should create a new page on Facebook. However, it is not just any page, but rather a so-called “fan page” which evolves around some activities people enjoy or famous people, brands, etc.
- Now, as you have created such a page, make sure to post interesting content on it regularly. Make people like it and engage in interesting conversations. Bear in mind to read the Terms of using such pages carefully if you don’t want Facebook to ban or close your page altogether.
- Professionals recommend posting something every day and even several times a day. To keep users entertained and interested, you should be present there at all times.
- Finally, after you have started a page and got at least several thousands of users who like what you are doing, you can proceed to the “Shop something” website and arrange all the ads you want to have. State that you are running and page and fully own it as well as your desired payment for a post.
- It is essential to set a price which will attract people and make them want to order an advertisement on your page. However, set prices which keep you happy. You don’t want to work for free, so, set good prices for all your effort. Thus, you can also start making money on Facebook by offering different businesses a chance to promote their products on your page.
- Sell fan pages
- You can also create fan pages for some celebrities or products and then sell them for real money to other people willing to run them and make money on the advertisements posted there. So, if you are good with sales, then maybe starting such a page is a good idea.
- Just make sure that people will be interested in the content you are writing about a particular thing as well as that there are no too many analogs for such a page.